The Art Department
“Art is unquestionably one of the purest and highest elements in human happiness. It trains the mind through the eye, and the eye through the mind. As the sun colors flowers, so does art color life.” ~John Lubbock (1834-1913), “The Pleasures of Life”
- Art, Craft and Design is a flourishing Department in Scoil Iósaif. All students get the opportunity to do art in First year.
- They get to explore the Art, Craft and Designs strands using a broad range of materials.
- Students can then choose at the end of 1st year if they wish to take art. 2nd and 3rd year see students develop their skills through class projects and CBA 1 and 2 coming together in a project with two finished pieces.
- Throughout the years they experience a trip to a cultural site like a gallery or museum and a visiting artist.
- 2nd Years have been involved with the NCCA in piloting a design project in conjunction with the Architects Foundation.
- Continuing engagement with external initiatives such as Design Skills with the Crafts Council offers junior students a rich arts experience.