On May 17th we celebrated the TY Graduation. The graduation celebrates primarily the learning of new skills, personal, social, educational, and of course work-related. Each student was presented with his individual folder of work, comprising tasks in individual subjects, results and reports thereon by the teachers, as well as all the various certificates gathered throughout the year, e.g., CPR or First Aid, Vincent de Paul Project Cert, Business in the Community, Computer Skills, Cookery, Architectural Studies, Kick Boxing and so on and so forth. Students collected a very thick and detailed folder of work which represented their hard work throughout the year.
As the TY Programme has been reviewed by the staff, taking into account the views of work placement employers and other interested stakeholders such as parents and pupils, the Transition Year Programme will now run with a five-day timetable rather than a four-day one where work experience was done on a Friday every week. The TYP will offer two distinct periods of two weeks placement each next year. Parents and Pupils will be informed of when these placements will occur in due course.
To return to the 2017 Graduation ceremony some 55 folders were presented to the assembled boys while some 21 prizes were given to the following worthy candidates listed below the pictures. On that score, TY student Curtis Smith must be thanked for taking all the uploaded pictures in this blog post!!
TY Graduation Prizes
- Glass Maker of Year Individual Award: Yankit Wan
- Glass Maker of Year Joint Award Daniel Mullane
- Glass Maker of Year Joint Award Corey Scully
- Historical Mural Award: Tommy Burke
- Historical Mural Award Curtis Smith
- Historical Mural Award: Jake Bride
- Historical Mural Award: Angel Mier Ignoto
- Past Pupils Union Data Base Award Yousuf Tanvir
- Work Experience of the Year Award Conor McGee Moore
- Best Attendance Award Keith O’Rourke
- Journalist of the Year Luke Hoey
- Entrepreneur of the Year Daniel Mullane
- Artist of the year 1 Djeraldus Jonaitis
- Artist of the year 2 Kevin Apitzsch
- Chef of the Year Daniel McCabe
- Vincent de Paul Award 1 Seán Bruen
- Vincent de Paul Award 2 Cian O’Brien
- Boxer of the Year Josh Lewis
- Kick Boxer of the Year Tommy Burke
- Helper of the Year Daniel McCabe
- Most Influential Student Christian O’Brien
- Most Improved Dylan Isaacson
- Student of the Year: Tommy Burke
Some parents and family friends were in attendance to witness their boys’ achievement. Here’s wishing all these former TYs and prospective Fifth Years an enjoyable Summer.