Aims and Objectives
The modern foreign languages taught in Scoil Iósaif share common aims and objectives, amongst these we seek:
- To enable students to acquire the four main linguistic skills to the best of their ability – listening – speaking – reading and writing.
- To provide opportunities for students to communicate confidently and express themselves in the target language for everyday communicative purposes.
- To introduce students to various cultures and traditions associated with their chosen language and to foster an understanding and appreciation of the same.
- To promote learner autonomy, a spirit of enquiry and a level of fluency suitable to the individual learner.
- To encourage students to reach their own individual potential in state examinations.
What will I learn in a modern language?
Some of the things you will learn include:
- how to speak in the language about yourself, your family and friends, your hobbies, your school, etc.This will help you to talk to people who speak the language
- the skills of listening to, reading and writing in the language
- the grammar of the language
- information about the countries where
- people speak the language, and their way of life.